top of page

Commercial Energy Performance Certificate


Non-domestic energy performance certificates are required for commercial buildings which are for sale, to let or under construction. An EPC provides a rating from A-G of the energy performance of a building, along with an accompanying recommendations report.

When is an EPC required?


All commercial properties for sale, let or new build require an EPC at the time of marketing.


There are certain exceptions for when an EPC is not required:

  • If a building is to be demolished.

  • Temporary buildings with less than two years of usage.

  • An entirely detached building with a total useful floor area of less than 50m2, and not a dwelling.

  • Places of worship.

  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand.

What are Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES)?


From the 1st April 2018, it is now unlawful to grant a new lease for properties in England and Wales which do not meet the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES). The regulation also applies to lease renewals.

Non-Domestic MEES Guide

Thanks for submitting!

Get in Touch

The Ergo

Bridgehead Business Park


HU13 0GD

bottom of page